wastelands?

Thursday, November 09, 2006




By the end of my day in the city I had recorded 5 Brownfield sites, was able to evaluate 4, and had cycled a staggering, yet slightly unbelievable, 7 miles.

And I had one interesting conversation… down by “Penelope” the playful piece of public art in the Rope Works clubbing quarter. By day, a quieter part of the city, but quite different by night, as I recall from my youthful dancing days at La Bateau in the mid the 90’s.
Granada Reports were out roaming the streets of Liverpool filming art and culture. A very nice lady told me all about “Penelope”: it’s site-specific connection to the Rope Works and it’s nautical theme derived from Homer’s Odyssey. Glad she told me, not with all my years of art training would I have been able to work that one out. To me “Penelope” is a bright, cheerful, larger than life, bendy tubular steel, big baubley, lollypop like, lighting piece of public art - not a Greek Tragedy tied up in rope.
I told her all about “liverpoolwastelands?” – but sadly, no offer of a feature on Granada Reports was forthcoming…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home