wastelands?

Sunday, December 10, 2006




I wanted to know what these two sites backed onto. As I had been too apprehensive and too time pressured to go deep into the sites, I opted to cycle around the back, turning off Edge Lane onto Laurel Road, and then into Holly Road, which runs parallel to Edge Lane. I could see no back way into the sites from Holly Road, but what I did discover was a primary school that backs onto both sites.
The proximity of schools to Brownfield sites is significant as it means that there is a nearby community that, under the right circumstances, could have access to wildlife on their doorstep.
This short diversion also took me past another of liverpool'swastelands – on Laurel Road, directly opposite Holly Road. From my viewpoint this site looked to be completely fenced off with no access points. I parked my bike up at a gap in the wall that had been barricaded with an insulated sheet of metal. I puzzled for a moment at the distinct desire line cutting right across the site to the far side, beyond which I could see rows of terraced houses. It was only a moment of puzzlement – because from the direction of the houses came a man walking a dog, and making a bee line, along the desire line, right towards me. I moved my bike out of the way so that he could climb over the metal sheet and get onto Laurel Road. As he walked away, I looked over the sheet and noticed a full tree trunk lying on the ground - one part of it worn and shiny - a well-used step. I take out my camera to take an image of the site, and manage to capture a woman in the picture – walking the same line. As she steps over the metal barrier she speaks to me…
“Not taking my picture are you?”
I explain to her what I am doing and my interest in the site, and I ask her why she has walked across it. Her answer is straightforward, but none the less – odd, considering the metal obstacle.
She has children at the primary school and each day she takes them across the site, from her home, one of the terraced houses, to the school. She and other parents choose to walk across this site because it is quicker and safer than walking along the busy Edge Lane – and of course this route will become even more desirable once Edge Lane is a dual carriageway with fast moving traffic.
Her children play on this site too, as did her other two when they were young (now in their 20’s). She used to walk them across this site to school too. And she can remember the day the metal obstacle appeared - around 15 years ago.
This site is well used by the local community and interestingly there is very little litter. There is a large circular area of burnt grass and charred remains – a definite bonfire site - I want to believe that it marks a community event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home